Click here to return to the Jersey City: Past and Present Home Page Click here to return to the list of website time periods. Click here to return to the alphabetized list of website entries.


1913 Lincoln High School opened at Crescent Avenue.
  Main Post Office opened at Washington Street.
Jersey City adopted a commission form of government under the Walsh-Leavitt Commission Government Act of 1911. The voters elect a commission of five members from which one is chosen mayor. Mark Fagan was the first mayor under this plan. It replaced the aldermanic form of government.
1914 Margaret S. Herbermann, MD was appointed the first woman surgeon to Jersey City Hospital, later the Jersey City Medical Center.
1916 "Black Tom" explosion (July 30).
1917 Frank Hague elected mayor of Jersey City, beginning an era of political control in Hudson County.
1920s Headquarters for The Trust Company of New Jersey developed by William Heppenheimer.
1921 School for Crippled Children opened at Clifton Place.
Dempsey-Carpentier fight takes place at Boyle's Thirty Acres (July 2).
1924 Colgate clock installed at Jersey City waterfront.
Hotel Plaza built in Journal Square area at Sip Avenue.
1925 Mary T. Norton elected the first Congresswoman from Hudson County, representing Bayonne and Jersey City.
1927 Holland Tunnel opened.
  Trust Company of New Jersey headquarters opened at Journal Square.
  The founding of the New Jersey State Normal School (now New Jersey City University) is approved by the state legislature.
1928 The Stanley Theater opened at Journal Square.
1929 The Loew's Jersey Theater opened at Journal Square.
  Replacement Colgate Clock installed at Jersey City Waterfront.
  The New Jersey State Normal School opened; it offered a three-year teacher training program for elementary, kindergarten-primary, and secondary teacher training.
1930s Founding of Snyder High School on Bergen Avenue.
1931 Medical Center Complex and Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital opened.
  Dedication for opening of A. Harry Moore School.
  Lena Edwards, MD, became a staff physician at the Margaret Hague Maternity Hospital.
1932 Pulaski Memorial Skyway, connecting Jersey City and Newark, is opened.
1935 The New Jersey State Normal School became the New Jersey State Teachers College (now New Jersey City University) and offered a four-year Bachelor of Science in Education degree.
1936 New Jersey State Teachers College offered a degree program in Health Education and Nursing in cooperation with the Jersey City Medical Center.
1937 Roosevelt Stadium opened at Droyers' Point under the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  New Jersey National Guard Armory construction completed under a federal WPA project.
1941 Murdoch Hall constructed as part of the Medical Center Complex for the training of nurses.
1942 Miss America Diner opened on Westside Avenue.
1944 Fitgerald-Holota Memorial Park dedicated at intersection of Grove Street and Newark Avenue.
1946 Jackie Robinson broke the "color line" in professional baseball at Roosevelt Stadium.
1947 Frank Hague retired as Mayor of Jersey City.
1949 John V. Kenny brings an end to Hague regime.
1950 Dedication of Statue of Christopher Columbus at Journal Square.

 

 

By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub