Click here to return to the Jersey City: Past and Present Home Page Click here to return to the list of website time periods. Click here to return to the alphabetized list of website entries.

Holy Name Cemetery
823 West Side Avenue, between West Side and Tonnelle Avenues

 

Postcard of Holy Name Cemetery Office c1910
Courtesy, Jersey City Free Public Library

Holy Name Cemetery Office
Photo: P. Shalhoub, 2001


Holy Name Cemetery is the Roman Catholic burial ground in Jersey City and is operated by the Archdiocese of Newark. The 68-acre cemetery that one observes along West Side Avenue was begun in 1866 for the city's Catholic residents.

Catholic burials in the 1840s took place at St. Peter's Cemetery. It is located on Tonnelle Avenue, which made access from the busy highway increasingly difficult by the twentieth century. Its records are maintained by Holy Cross Cemetery in North Arlington, NJ.

Holy Name Cemetery is now the largest cemetery in Jersey City with approximately 267,000 burial plots. A section of the cemetery is dedicated to the burial of priests and nuns who had served in the city's several Roman Catholic parishes and parochial schools.

Striking in their numbers and design are the mausoleums and elaborately carved stone monuments. One such mausoleum is that of Mayor Frank Hague. Other Jersey City mayors buried in Holy Name Cemetery are Mark Fagan, John V. Kenny and Thomas F.X. Smith.

Other Jersey City cemeteries on web site: Speer Burial Ground/DeMott Burial Ground, Jersey City/Harsimus Cemetery, Bayview-New York Bay Cemetery, and Old Bergen Church Cemetery.

Reference:

Egan, Colin. "The Hudson Underground." Hudson County Magazine Fall 1991:37-40.

By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub