Click here to return to the Jersey City: Past and Present Home Page Click here to return to the list of website time periods. Click here to return to the alphabetized list of website entries.

Snyder High School
239 Bergen Avenue

by Cynthia Harris



Henry Snyder, 1858-1923
Courtesy Jersey City Free Public Library

 




View of Henry Snyder High School
from Kennedy Boulevard
Photo: A. Selvagio, 2003


    View of Henry Snyder High School
from Kennedy Boulevard
Photo: A. Selvagio, 2003

Snyder High School was the third public high school built in Jersey City.

It began as the Henry Snyder Junior High School in 1924 and was named for Henry Snyder. He had taught in Easton, PA, and was a school principal by age 21. He taught Greek and Latin in the City High School (now Dickinson High School), was the principal of Public School No. 2, and served as the Jersey City Superintendent of Schools from 1893 to 1923.

In the 1930s, a consolidation of the junior high school with Lincoln High School Annex resulted in the present high school.

 

 

 

By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub