The feature we call "Our Neighborhood" is a pictorial excursion
of the campus of New Jersey City University and surrounding area.
The campus, located between Kennedy Boulevard and Route 440, is bordered
on the south and north by private residences. To the east and across
the street from Hepburn Hall along Kennedy Boulevard are Synder High
School, the A. Harry Moore School, a student residence, and Audubon
Culver Avenue from Kennedy Boulevard to the west, one notices the
expansion of the campus over the decades. These include the addition
of Fries Hall to Hepburn Hall, and the Michael B. Gilligan Student
Union Building. Down Audubon Avenue from Kennedy Boulevard, there
is the Guarini Library, Vodra Hall, the Professional Building and
student residence building. In the interior of this development are
Rossey Hall and the Science Building.
the northern side of Culver Avenue are the Fine Arts Building and
the Athletic and Fitness Center. At the corner of Culver and West
Side avenues is the Miss America Diner. North of the campus on West
Side Avenue is evidence of old industrial plants that have been renovated
and the recently installed West Side Avenue Station at Claremont Avenue
on the NJ Transit Hudson-Bergen Light Rail.
the campus between Audubon and Culver avenues are attached town houses
that were constructed after World War II. A few of the streets within
the housing development have names associated with the founding of
the University as a teacher certification institution or "normal"
school in 1929. Also, between Audubon and Culver avenues to the foot
of the hill at West Side Avenue is one of the first cooperative apartments
in Jersey City called College Towers. Each building is named for a
college or university.