• Public Safety Small Banner

Credit Card Fraud

  • If your credit card has been lost or stolen, you might find the information on this page helpful.
    Please be aware that even if someone is arrested and prosecuted for theft or unauthorized use of your credit card, that does not always guarantee you will be compensated for your losses.

    What should I do? 

    If you haven't done so already, call the company who issued your card immediately. Most have a toll-free, 24-hour number.
    By law, once you report the loss or theft, you have no further liability for unauthorized charges. In any event, your maximum liability under federal law is $50 per card.
    Check with each company regarding your maximum liability. This is important when your loss involves a debit card. As unlike a credit card, a debit card results in immediate loss of funds from your bank account.

    Major credit card companies 
    Visa: 1-800-VISA-911
    MasterCard: 1-800-823-2181
    Discover: 1-800-DISCOVER
    American Express: 1-800-528-4800

    How can I get a copy of my credit report? 
    If you are a victim of fraud, you may obtain a copy of your credit report free of charge by contacting:
    TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
    Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
    Experian: 1-800-682-7654

    For further information or assistance 
    If you have a problem with a credit card company, or would like to know more about regulations that govern credit card companies contact the Federal Reserve Bank in Minneapolis at 612-340-4501 or 1-800-552-7225.
    Complaints and questions about credit cards issued by department stores, oil companies or other non-bank creditors should be addressed to: 
    Credit Cards
    Corresponding Branch
    Federal Trade Commission
    Washington, D.C. 20580
    If your credit card is issued by a national bank, send any correspondence to: 
    Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
    Consumer Activities Division
    Washington, D.C. 20219
    If your credit card is issued by a savings and loan institution or a federal reserve bank, contact: 
    Office of Thrift Supervision
    1700 G Street N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20552
    For all other banks, write to: 
    Federal Reserve Board
    Division of Consumer Affairs
    Washington, D.C. 20551

    Credit Card Safety 
    • Report billing errors and unauthorized charges to your credit card company immediately. Keep track of sales slips and other pertinent information so you can compare these to your billing statements.
    • Do not give your credit card number over the phone to anyone.
    • Check your cards periodically to make sure none are missing. Limit the number to those you regularly use.
    • Make sure your credit card is returned after each transaction.
    • Personally destroy all carbons on sales slip to avoid unauthorized use of your name, card number and expiration date. (Carbons can be used by counterfeiters.)
    • Carry only credit cards you will be using.
    • Keep a list of credit card numbers and card company numbers in case a card is stolen or lost.

    For more information, please email: publicsafety@njcu.edu or call 201-200-3127 / 3128.