of the Communipaw settlement during the middle of the 19th Century
View looking west from Communipaw (or South) Cove (now Liberty State Park)
Courtesy, M. Waldron-Ascolese
of the 1855 Woods Map of Jersey City, Bergen, and Hoboken showing the
location of the Communipaw village along waterfront near Phillip Street
and Communipaw Avenue.
Courtesy, Jersey City Free Public Library
The settlement of
New Netherland by the Dutch
West India Company (1621-1664) on the western side of the Hudson River
contributed several locations and place names that would become part of
present-day Jersey City. They are Pavonia, Communipaw,
Hook and Bergen.
The Dutch built a house at Communipaw in 1633, one of the first two in the vast area under the control of the Dutch West India Company. The house was occupied by Jan Evertse Bout, also known as Jan de Lacher, who gave the area the name of "Jan de Lacher's Hoeck" at Communipaw Bay in 1634. This became South Cove, in the present day Lafayette section at Phillips Street. Bout was the second of three superintendents that Patroon Michael Pauw appointed to oversee his extensive land claim.
Over time the Dutch
built houses on what was the shoreline that runs along present day Phillips
Street. A ferry service ran between Communipaw and New Amsterdam.
During the nineteenth century, the earlier shore line of Communipaw was extended a mile into New York Bay with land fill. The New York Bay inlet known as Communipaw Bay or South Cove was later filled in by the Central Railroad of New Jersey.
| By: Carmela Karnoutsos
Project Administrator: Patrick Shalhoub